Routes — Alastair Evans (The Positive Journey)
1. Firstly, introduce yourself; who you are, what you do and who you run with/for?
Hi guys, I’m Al Evans, an avid runner from country Victoria. I work in retail with the family business and love getting out for a gallop in Echuca (my hometown). I’m training with Brett Robinson from Pulse Running and run for the Snowdome Foundation.
2. How long have you been running and how/when did you get your start?
I’ve been running for a few years. It all started in the states when I lived there and got such a buzz from getting out and going for a run. I lived in NYC and absolutely loved running over there - Central Park, Prospect Park, West Side Hwy etc - you can’t put a foot wrong.
3. Where do you live? Can you tell us a few things that you like/don’t like about running in your area?
Currently I live in Echuca which is 2.5hrs north of Melbourne. We’ve got some great running trails around here and enjoy getting out on them. Only issue… it’s very flat. So if you like hills, Echuca is prob not your spot. If you like flats, then we’ve got you covered!
4. What has been your go-to running route within your area and why?
We’ve got a new bridge in town which is great to run over. You run up in the treeline and if you catch it at sunrise, you get an amazing view out on the skyline. If you get up here, come and check out the new bridge! Outside of that, there is a 5km track along the Murray River called “The Scenic”. It’s beautiful and I highly recommend.
5. If you could pick one road or trail to run anywhere in the world, where would it be and is it somewhere you have run before?
One that sticks with me is a trail I ran in upstate NYC near the Catskills. There are old rail trails and this one was incredible. It was fall (autumn) so leaves were changing and such vibrant colours - red, orange and yellows. They were all on these huge trees which created a canopy over the trail. Breathtaking…
6. Music on the run? If so, who has been your go to artist and/or playlist?
No music. Just at one with mother nature baby.
7. Are you currently training for anything in particular?
Yep, I’m completing a run from Melbourne to Echuca starting on June 15th. It will cover over 250kms across 4 days. The run is called The Positive Journey and will raise funds and awareness for The Snowdome Foundation. Snowdome helps fund research and provide treatments to patients with blood cancers. My involvement is a personal one as my Mum passed away with Multiple Myeloma, currently an incurable blood cancer in 2016. We’ll leave from UTA on Wed 15th June around 7am. Head along to see us on our way out of the city!
To date, we’ve raised close to $50K. The goal is $75K so if anyone would like to donate, please head to the link below. Anything is very much appreciated!
Route #1 — Coastinnn'
Route #2 — Echuca
Route #3 — Roundaboutown
Route #4 — Salisbury